Painting on Hardboard or Wood


2012 I switched from painting on on canvas to wood panels. I love the organic simplicity of wood panels & its a lot more sturdy. The grain of the wood showing through my artwork is an added bonus. 




My very first painting was done on Unprimed Birch Plywood.  I was really satisfied with the way it turned out. 

There was a lot I didn't know about painting on Hardboard or Wood. 
I wanted to share my discoveries with you all!

HARDBOARD:

Oak, Cedar, Birch* (My favorite So far), Walnut, Mahogany

SOFTWOODS:

Pine ( not suitable for painting because they contain excess reins and tend to crack)



SURFACES:

1- Masonite ( type of board from wood fiber)
2- Furniture Plywood
3- Extremely Smooth Plywood - (made from birch, mahogany, and poplar)
4- Hollow core door - relatively light panel
5- Laminated - one side sands better

Click here to read more. This article really helped me. 

GESSO:
I just recently started using clear acrylic gesso instead on white Gesso.
I would suggest two brands. 


1- Winsor Newton Artists Acrylic Clear Gesso*
2- Liquitex Clear Acrylic Gesso 

To get the best result apply 3 caots of primer and sand after the first coat  has dried.



No comments:

Post a Comment


About Me

My photo
23. Full time artist eager to share my work with the world. Based in MD. Join ME!

Slider